Monday, November 8, 2010

Schubert in Indianapolis

A good crowd attended our SMT short session this past Friday afternoon. Odd little hitches took away a bit (no access to the room till the official start time, a laptop display connection that didn't work today though it had done so without trouble yesterday) but the paper was designed to be efficient, and I think I got my points across in any case -- and the cotillon performance was everything I had hoped it would be.

On the other hand, I realized not long ago that my paper was really three (mediant relations as transformations, Schubert in the space and time of social dancing, and the historical contexts of social dancing in Vienna in the early 19th century), and that I probably couldn't do justice to any of them. Of the three, I think it was the transformations that suffered most; I plan to remedy that in the version I am now preparing for publication.